Become A Voluntary Dues Paying Member Of EAA
There are a number of reasons why you should become a voluntary, dues paying member of EAA. Here are some of the reasons:
- It is immoral to receive a benefit from your union without paying dues. Would you hire a tax preparer to prepare your taxes, and then not pay him? Your union incurs expenses fighting for your rights. The least you can do is pay your fair shares in dues to compensate EAA for its costs.
- You cannot vote on your contract. If you are not a voluntary member, you cannot vote on your contract. This means you cannot vote on your salary, your cost of living adjustments, your medical benefits, your retirement, and many other key issues.
- You will not have a voice in your union. If you are not a member, no one will ask you for your opinion regarding union issues.
- You may not have representation. If you are not paying dues, EAA might not represent you when you get into trouble. I know what you’re thinking: “This will never happen to me.” I can’t tell you how many times I’ve seen employees get into trouble who have been with the City 20 years or longer. In many instances, these individuals have never been in trouble before. If you think it can’t happen to you, think again. It can!
- You will not receive union benefits. Only voluntary members are entitled to union benefits. EAA offers a number of benefits including a dental plan that includes vision care and chiropractic. We offer supplemental insurance with no medical questions. EAA offers generous scholarships to the children of voluntary dues payers. In addition, we offer a terrific holiday party complete with great food and wonderful prizes to voluntary members.
- You strengthen your union by being a voluntary member. The more voluntary members we have, the stronger we are in regard to contract negotiations.
- You cannot vote for elected representatives. If you are not a voluntary member, you cannot vote for your union elected representatives.
For all of the above reasons, become a voluntary dues payer. You can get your union application form online HERE. If you should have any questions, please ask for Brenna Green at (213) 620-6920.
List of Departments Represented by Darryl Cherness
- Animal Services
- Building and Safety
- City Clerk
- City Controller
- City Ethics Committee
- Economic Workforce Development Division (EWDD)
- Harbor Port of LA
- Information Technology Agency (ITA)
- Recreation and Parks
- Department of Transportation (DOT)